So, today I've managed to completely UV the toilet, which took 6+ hours, and then also texture and bump map the plunger. I hope to finish the mirror tonight as well, but tomorrow I will be concentrating exclusively on the toilet.
With GDC (Game Developer's Conference) coming up at the end of the month, our goal was the finish this grunge scene before heading to the conference.
While I can model, Miss Jolly is the real modeler of the two of us. In the case of this particular project, Miss Jolly would act as the main modeler (with some outside help, from Lief) and I would act as lighter, rendering technician, and something of lead for the project. With nearly all the models for the scene having been completed [aside from the lights and the casing around them (which I'm modeling)], we've begun to move onto texturing. It was decided that this part of the project would be split. Miss Jolly had her preference of the models she wants to texture, while I'd take up the remaining models.
With literally about a week away from our deadline for fully textured models, we're starting to feel the pressure.
Texture Deadlines are as follows:
Capt. Rara / Miss Jolly
Plunger = 2/17
Models NEED to be done tomorrow for Light and Light Case = 2/17
So today and yesterday, I bullied through these two models, and UV'd them. The mirror was extremely self explanatory, and then the paper towel dispenser gave me no end of problems. I am glad to be finished with it. >:( I believe the next step is texturing! <3
I didn't realize it, but this model was more difficult than all the models previous for this project. The UV was insanely tricky, while the modeling was relatively simple. (Not counting the stuff I forgot, then later had to re-model and UV) I re-acquainted myself with Headus UVlayout, so it was fun to test that out again. More to come later!
Today, I've finished modeling the communal sink. Pretty straight forward, but it did take some time to really get the right shape, with the high poly flow. I'm really enjoying the extremely smooth nature of the modeling, but I kind of miss low poly models. I've also finished the UV for this model, but I anticipate some tinkering in the UV space due to how many things are stacked right now. It will change as needed, or stay the same if we decide to go with shaders instead of hand painted textures. Next, stalls!
For the lack of a better title at the moment, we've essentially dubbed the scene/tiny animation "Grungy Bathroom". As it's name describes it, it's a bathroom... that is in fact grungy. By utilizing our own skill sets, Miss Jolly, myself, and other contributors (Manda and Leif) are gonig to make this scene come to life.
So I'd like to start off our work blog with the Cockroach model! I've just completed the basic design minus the antennae. I hope to Z-brush this model at some point, but I'm concentrating on modeling at the moment. This mesh, I don't plan on refining the way I have previous meshes, due to the massive amount of geometry there would be.
Next wip, he's got his eyes and antennae. Keeping him simple because we wont be viewing him up close. I am getting more interested in modeling bugs though, I might attempt a high poly, highly detailed and Z-brushed bug at some point. They are kinda cute in their own weird way.